Contributors

Monday, July 6, 2020

Wellness tips that work for me


Eat good fats! Eat fat to get thin. Avoid low-fat and non-fat. The body needs good fat, so if I avoid fat I force my body into a fat-storing mode and start to increase my waistline. So, I eat whole-fat yogurt (with no artificial sweeteners and low sugar), whole milk, meat with fat (not too lean!), and lots of avocados (guac, baby!), nuts, and healthy oils (olive oil, peanut, sunflower, avocado, and coconut oils).

Sleep! I average 7-8 hours per night. Yes, I’m super busy. Yes, I’ve made millions of dollars in my lifetime. But that doesn’t mean I’m a machine & neglect my body. I strive for balance, and that includes allocating time for adequate sleep. It helps my body burn fat, restores my spirit & soul, and keeps me super productive with high energy each day.

Exercise! No surprise here. I find that #HIIT (High-Intensity Intermittent Training), ninja warrior, parkour, sprint/walk (this applies to running, swimming, biking, etc.), and similar exercise works much better for me than endurance exercise (like long-distance or long-duration exercise). 

Yoga – 26 years and counting (since 1991) at least once a week but usually 2x per week. I can’t recommend this too strongly. It keeps my body strong (especially my core and my joints), flexible and healthy, as well as providing de-toxifying benefits to my organs.

High protein, low carbs. I find that bread and other starchy foods (pasta, rice, etc.) go right to my waistline. So, I severely restrict starchy carbs and limit my carbs to mostly just vegetables and some fresh fruit. I eat mostly eggs, nuts, avocados, meats (lots of fish – but I avoid farm-raised salmon due to the high toxicity) and peanut butter. Lots of peanut butter.

Alkaline water – we have a machine at home & I strongly recommend you drink a lot of alkaline water. Do some research on it. I drink a full glass of water every morning before anything else touches my stomach, sometimes with some fresh lemon juice squeezed in. This kick-starts my day and I don’t need coffee and don't eat as much for breakfast.

Fast – I wait as long as I can between meals, helping my body burn fat by fasting a bit. Usually, I only eat 2 high protein, high good fat (nuts, seeds, beans, avocado, oils, meats), and low carb meals per day.

Organic!! I have been eating almost exclusively organic foods since 1986 when my mom taught me thru her actions how important the avoidance of toxins is in foods. America uses more pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides per capita than any other country by a HUGE margin. We’re slowly killing ourselves. Eat organic. Duh.

Massage – I get bodywork about every 3-4 weeks. It helps me detox and keeps my tissues young & supple. Health is about assimilation & elimination. The body can assimilate foods that are not processed and don’t contain chemicals or additives. Read the ingredients of everything you buy: if you can’t pronounce something or don’t recognize it, don’t put it in your body! Some toxins are inevitable, so for me, massage helps me rid my body of this crap.

Toxin avoidance. As hard as I try to avoid toxins, they are everywhere: in our air, water, and food. The body has evolved to protect itself from anything unknown that we ingest by wrapping it up with fat molecules (to shield the body from the unknown particle(s)). So, the more toxins you eat or drink (like Splenda / Sucralose/ High Fructose Corn Syrup or other artificial sweeteners) the fatter you get because the body has to wrap up those nasties with protective fat. I’m no doctor, I just know what happens with my own body & I’ve done a ton of research and tried lots of different things. This is another reason I’m so passionate about wind, solar & other clean energy sources: over 80% of the mercury in our air & water comes from coal plants, along with lead, arsenic, cadmium, and lots of other nasty stuff.

No comments: